Brand New! Outdoor Hour Challenge
Cilantro Herb Nature Study
Here we are at the start of another new series of nature study topics! For the next eight weeks, we’ll be studying common herbs that most families have used and may have access to in their gardens. Cilantro is one of my favorite culinary herbs, especially in Mexican food. It’s easy to grow, so look for it at your local garden nursery.
Please note that this week’s challenge for cilantro is found in the sample for this ebook. Your family is welcome to download the sample, use the suggestions for nature study, complete a notebook page for your nature journal, and perhaps even use the coloring page.
Outdoor Hour Challenge-Herb Ebook: Download the cilantro sample here.
Here are some observation ideas from the challenge.
Observe your cilantro plant using all your senses.
· Touch–Describe how the leaves feel? Is the stem stiff or bendable?
· Fragrance–Smell the leaves. Crush a few leaves and note the difference in aroma. Do the flowers have a fragrance?
· Sight-How tall is your plant? Note the shape of the leaves. Do you see any insects on your cilantro plant or flowers?
· Taste-Rinse a few of the leaves and then taste them. It has been described as tasting “bright, lemony, or a little peppery”. What is your description of the taste?
Remember that the rest of the challenge is available to Ultimate and Journey level members here on the Handbook of Nature Study. You will need to sign into your Ultimate or Journey level membership to see the Herb Ebook download.
Included in the new Herb Ebook are eight brand new Outdoor Hour Challenges for you to complete as part of your nature study lessons with your children. These challenges are not based on information in the Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock. You’ll be using internet links and field guides to glean information about each topic.
- This 49-page digital ebook has 8 challenges and supplemental activities that will help you learn about some popular and common herbs you can easily grow in your garden.
- There are multiple custom notebooking pages for each of the topics. You can choose from simple notebook pages or more advanced notebooking pages.
- There are 6 coloring pages.
- Sample: Print an ebook sample here: Cilantro Nature Study
Here are the specific topics included in this ebook:
- Bee Balm