Patterns are EVERYWHERE! Some suggest that the study of mathematics is the study of patterns ... identifying them, categorizing them, generalizing them.
Five universal generalizations are true about patterns:
- patterns have segments that are repeated
- patterns allow for prediction
- patterns have an internal order
- patterns may have symmetry
- patterns are everywhere
Here are a few ideas for exploring patterns in math in introductory ways ...
1). Read children's books! I love to connect with students using a read aloud ... talking through a picture book before getting started with math. AND yes! It works well even in middle and high school!
2) Explore polygonal or figurate numbers. I have a task I've used with students ... you may find it helpful. "Explore Numbers in Shapes."