100+ Things to Do with Kids Indoors This Winter
The holiday season might be almost over, but Old Man Winter is just getting started, and if theres anything we know, its that youre going to need a ton of tricks in your bag to make it until spring and warmer weather. The good news is that weve got a ton of indoor activities for kids that go beyond your normal play routine. From crafting your own robots to writing stories, here are 114 activities and indoor games for kids thatll keep everyone busy until you can officially kick cold weather to the curb.
1. Intro. your kids to yoga with this beginner series.
3. Make music on your phone! Here are the best music-making apps for kids.
5. Learn about snowflakes in a whole new way with snowflake experiments. Bonus: you dont need actual snow to pull them off.
7. Download a new kids album and host a dance party.
8. Forget the paint brush. Use a comb instead to create your next masterpiece!
9. Need even more music? We asked our editors for their favorite dance tunes. Listen to the playlist here.
10. You dont need a ton of supplies to keep your kids entertained. Check out our ideas for fun kid games with three supplies or less.
11. Get your kids excited about learning words with these awesome dictionary games.
12. Sharpen those memory skills by playing a brain-boosting learning game.
14. Sometimes you need indoor fun that lasts more than an hour. For fabulous long-term play projects click here.
15. Is your kid still learning how to tell time? We have five games thatll help them get there.
16. Channel Ariel and make your own mermaid tail.
17. If theyre more into Ursula, try out one of these fun octopus crafts.
18. Whether you have only five minutes or a full 30, here are 18 activities to make the most of your time.
19. Intro. your kids to Scrabble with our version of the game that features two-letter words.
20. Show your kids how epic dragons really are with easy dragon crafts thatll keep em entertained all day long.
21.Send a hug to a family member or loved one far away with a DIY hug card.
23. Only have 10 minutes to spare? We've got 15 play ideas that'll do the trick.
25.Teach your kids how germs really work with a science experiment high on the fun (and gross) factor.
26. If youre feeling less than energetic, try a low-key activity. We have 13 ideas to get you started.
27. Need a few free minutes to yourself? Set your kids up with one of these streaming shows that are kid- and parent-approved.
28. Whip up a batch of glow-in-the-dark ice cubes.
29. Make your own harmonica with only four supplies.
30. Try your hand at creating a confetti balloon ball.
31. Use old toilet paper rolls to make binoculars.
33. All you need is 30-minutes to make your own dolphin.
34. Teach your kids a little more about yourself. Here are 10 questions they can ask you today.
35. Put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) with three simple ideas to turn your kids into an author for the day.
36. Make poop (yep, you read that right).
37. Carving out quality family time doesnt have to be challenging. Simply look at our guide for easy ideas.
38. Download a cool crop of apps geared towards kids who love to invent.
41. Never lose your place in your book again thanks to this DIY bowtie bookmark project.
42. Map out your next trip by scoping out the coolest music venues for families.
43. Let snowmen inspire snacktime. Take a peek at our favorite snowmen-inspired treats.
44. Use up those leftover gingerbread house gumdrops with a science experiment or two.
45. Did you know that Ziploc finger painting requires only two supplies? Get the scoop here.
46. You can never have too many books about construction. Book it to the library to check out one of our favorite books theyll really dig.
48. If you have grandparents nearby, youll want to play one of these games with them.
49. Go beyond Monopoly with new family games.
50. Transform your toilet paper rolls. Heres how!
51. Dont throw out those popped balloons. We have the perfect craft to use those rubber pieces up.
53. Got extra straws? Try making a straw rocket ship.
55. Think small and make tiny furniture for your tiny friends.
56. Keeping your kids entertained after school is oh-so-easy with ideas that range from yoga to creating an indoor train track.
57. Did you know your old egg cartons can be upcycled into a colorful mask?
59. Science meets imaginary play with this ice LEGO activity(pictured below).
61. Prep for spring and all the birds by making an egg carton bird feeder.
62. For easy sensory play, explore the temperature and texture of ice.
63. Skip that ship in a bottle. Try out a cork boat instead.
64. Shake up free time with a new subscription box.
65. If saying the word poop is a surefire giggle-maker, youll want to check out these yucky (and so fun) games for the whole family.
66. Did you know you can make a lunchbox out of a plastic water jug? Get the tutorial here.
67. Play a game that helps with hand-eye coordination. Bonus: theres a barnyard twist.
68. Before there were smartphones, there were maps. Pass the paper reading map skills down a generation by showing your kids how to read a map, old-school style.
70. Make edible art that the kids can eat.
72. Take some time to teach your kids about a historic icon: Frederick Douglass.
73. It may be gloomy outside but you can still spot a rainbow thanks to these four clever ways of making your own.
74. Lounge in style with a homemade hammock.
77. Cold weather got you down? Stay mellow with this blues playlist for kids.
78. Cast a spell with a pretend potion.
80. Learn a new magic trick (or seven!).
81. Paint rocks to hide outside on a sunny day.
83. Score a new set of wheels. Here are 10 coolcars you can make at home.
84. Break out the deck of cards to learn these easy card games and tricks.
85. Even if you cant run around outside you can still play football. Paper football that is.
86. Its Girl Scout cookie season (YES!). To celebrate, learn two Girl Scout songs today.
87. Write your own fairy tale. Use our fill-in-the-blank story to get started.
89. Check out our ideas for pretend play you can set up (and enjoy!) in one afternoon.
91. Make the kids LOL with 180+ hilarious jokes
92. Practice counting with these clever hacks.
93. Check out nine sand play ideas. No beach required!
94. Create your own family laws just for today. Use these five ideas to get you started.
95. Learn how to make shadow puppets.
97. Its time for a geography lesson. Get started with our Name That State printable.
98. Embrace the mess with these confetti poppers fun for any time of year.
100. Changing the world is easier than you may think. Check out our handy guide for kids here.
102. Keep kids busy with a new activity book or two.
103. Take craft time to the next, out-of-this-world level with a fun alien craft.
104. Make a bird feeder out of an empty soup can.
105. Make a terrarium for your kid's favorite prehistoric pal.
106. Make Star Wars crafts with your force of nature.
107. Make a mailbox and send each other letters.
108. Let your kid be her favorite Sesame Street character for the day.
109. Bring the Big Easy into your home with our favorite kid-friendly jazz albums.
110. For a quiet afternoon, print out one of these awesome winter-themed activity sheets.
111. Plan a playdate for the record books with one of these genius ideas.
113. Read a book or 100.
114. Finally, for the mom and dad who have crafted, created, entertained and danced, you deserve a pat on the back ... and maybe even a glass of wine. Make things interesting with our wine bingo printable you can download here. Cheers!
Feature photo: iStock