Chicken Planks ( Like Chicken Fingers, ONLY BETTER)
This was one of my moms weekly dishes growing up. They are so good! Our friends would hear we were having chicken planks and conspicuously hang around our house until Mama called us in for supper so they could secure an invite. After all, arent Southerners known for their fried chicken?
The taste and texture of this dish are so amazing, youd never know the ingredients were so few and so simple, and you will be surprised at how much better they taste than any other chicken finger youve had!
Please dont get low salt or no salt crackers, just trust me on this.
Place chicken breasts inside two ziplock bags and beat out thin with the blunt end of a meat tenderizer or mallet. I use two ziplock bags because one usually ends up splitting open in the course of my beating. I guess I have a lot of untapped aggression . They will be nice and flat and thin, about 1/4 of an inch.
Drop into hot oil. I cook mine on a medium to medium high heat. I like to use a heavy skillet for this. Turn after they brown on one side and continue cooking
Remove from the pan and place on paper towel lined plate.
These are wonderful with any dipping sauce, or on their own.
Personally, Im a ketchup gal. My husband likes honey mustard. Sara Jane (our bonus daughter) likes ranch, and Katy likes em plain.
- 2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 -3 Sleeves Saltine Crackers
- 2 eggs
- Cooking Oil
- Pour oil in large skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch. Heat on medium while you prepare the chicken.
- Place chicken in gallon ziplock bag and beat out until 1/4 inch thick. Crack eggs into bowl and beat with fork. Crush saltines and put in a separate bowl.
- Cut each chicken breast into three strips and dip each piece first in egg mixture, then in cracker crumbs, being careful to coat completely. Drop each piece into oil and cook, turning once, on medium to medium high heat until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towel lined plate.
I originally published this recipe in 2008 and updated the photos and post in 2020.
Live like you are wearing your skinny jeans
and dance like nobody is watching!Submitted by Wanda. Share your quote by clicking here.
The post Chicken Planks ( Like Chicken Fingers, ONLY BETTER) appeared first on Southern Plate.