This hummus, starring nutrient-rich chickpeas, is a staple of my healthy, plant-based kitchen. Providing a rich, tasty source of plant protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals, hummus offers unlimited versatility: Use this classic hummus as an appetizer dip with whole grain pita bread and vegetables, spread it on a sandwich, serve it with veggie balls or falafels, and dollop it over salads and grains. You can use this basic hummus as the starting place for a variety of hummuses, such as a kalamata olive hummus, avocado cilantro hummus, or smoky pumpkin hummus. Check out this video on how you can make four easy delicious hummus recipes with one basic starter recipe. Gluten-free and vegan, this classic 10-minute, 4-ingredient (minus pantry staples) hummus recipe will be your new best friend!
BEST Classic Hummus
(9 votes, average: 4.33 out of 5)
4.3 from 9 reviews
- Author: The Plant-Powered Dietitian
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Diet: Vegan
Make the BEST ever classic hummus (vegan and gluten-free) with only four ingredients in 10 minutes—the perfect, healthy addition to crackers, veggies, sandwiches, pita and falafels.
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), with liquid
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. Put the chickpeas into a blender or food processor.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, black pepper, and salt (optional), as well as about half of the reserved chickpea liquid.
- Puree the chickpea mixture, adding additional chickpea liquid as necessary to produce the desirable texture. Add olive oil and continue to blend until mixture is very smooth and creamy.
- Pour the hummus into a serving dish and garnish with a drizzle of additional olive oil and sprinkle of black pepper, if desired. If not serving immediately, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Makes 2 cups (eight 1/4-cup servings)
To serve hummus as an appetizer, place a small serving dish of garnished hummus in the center of a platter. Arrange triangles of whole wheat pita bread and pieces of fresh raw vegetables, such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, and snow peas, on the platter.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dip
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 89
- Sodium: 160 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: vegan hummus, healthy hummus, hummus
I love to use my Nutribullet in this recipe. Grab my affiliate code to get your own!
For more plant-based hummus recipes, check out some of my favorites:
Beet White Bean Hummus
Tomato Pesto Hummus
Cranberry Jalapeno Hummus
Chickpea Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Hummus
Curried White Bean Hummus
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.