A classic Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe perfect for after Easter or whenever you’re craving something simply delicious! Also great on crackers!
Confused as to what to do with all those darn hard-boiled eggs that you all inevitably have from Easter? The obvious choice would be an egg salad. The not so obvious would be an awesome Egg Salad Sandwich. Lucky for you I’m here to share my recipe because life becomes a little brighter when you’re eating an egg salad sandwich that has a little crunch. Anyways, the moral of the story is to make this and fall in love with egg salad sandwiches. It’s a good one.
Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
Back in my younger years when I’d stay up past 10 pm, my brother was usually around. Come 1 or 2 am, he’d get hungry and make himself a snack. Sometimes it was PB&J, other times it would be straight up celery and on occasion, it would be a quick trip to McDonald’s. BUT, one Friday night, he made egg salad sandwiches. At this point in my life, I hated egg salad because:
- it just seemed like a weird/disgusting concept to me
- the whole hard-boiled egg smell wasn’t exactly pleasant
Well, have I got news for you. Egg Salad Sandwiches are not gross when you make them correctly.
Here’s the trick–brace yourselves–you need practically equal parts egg to salad (meaning all the crunchy vegetables you add in like celery and onions). That’s it!
Ingredients for Egg Salad:
A lot of the usual culprits are needed for this recipe! Don’t forget the dill pickles…not to be confused with sweet pickles. PLEASE don’t use sweet pickles.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – I have a super good how-to on hard-boiled eggs that you should definitely check out. Two words, easy peel.
- Onions – adds a bit of crunch and a bit of onion flavor. But not too much.
- Dill Pickles – tangy and crunchy that is perfect for this salad.
- Celery – okay, yes, MORE crunchiness but this kind brings a bite of freshness to your sandwich.
- Mayonnaise – real mayo people. Not Miracle Whip. I like the Best Foods brand.
- Salt and Pepper – season to taste!!
- Bread – this egg salad recipe is so good on any type of bread. If you are up to it, you could even try it on my Easy Homemade Bread Recipe. You can also try toasting your bread! Also, fabulous with crackers or plantain chips.
And if you are looking for a healthier version of this egg salad, see here.
How to Make Egg Salad Sandwich
This is going to be the easiest (and most delicious) egg salad sandwich you ever did make.
- Start by boiling the eggs. Cool then peel. Cut eggs into small pieces. I definitely recommend using an egg slicer. This is the one I have (pictured above) and LOVE it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop onion, dill pickes and celery and add to bowl.
- Stir in mayonnaise and continue stirring until combined. Feel free to add more or less mayonnaise to your liking.
- Serve cold on bread or with crackers.
This Egg Salad Sandwich makes about 4 sandwiches so divide that salad up and dig in!
Everyone likes their egg salad a little differently. This recipe is perfect on its own but is enhanced even more with different ingredients. So let me present some delicious add-ins to this egg salad sandwich recipe.
- Avocado – a subtle creamy addition.
- Bacon Bits – everything is better with bacon.
- Mustard – adds more yellow color and adds even more tangy flavor. Dijon mustard also works great!
- Paprika – this is used as a garnish and if you love it on your deviled eggs you’ll love it here too.
- Dill – I love a little fresh or dried dill added into my egg salad. Helps bring out the dill pickle flavor.
The egg salad that goes into your egg salad sandwiches can last up to 5 days in the fridge covered in an airtight container. If you don’t want your fridge stinking like eggs, be sure to use a truly air proof container. If you see the mixture getting watery and losing its bright color, it’s time to toss it. But I doubt you’ll have any leftovers anyways, it’s THAT good!!!
More Egg Recipes to Try!
- Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Hash Brown Egg Cups
- Chile Con Queso Eggs Benedict
- Poached Eggs with Tex-Mex Breakfast Hash and Cheddar Jalapeño Grits
Printable recipe card is below, have a good day!
Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 6 hard boiled eggs peeled
- 1/3 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dill pickles finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise I use Best Foods (or Helman's)
- 8 slices bread
- salt and pepper to taste
Start by boiling the eggs. Cool then peel. Cut eggs into small pieces. I definitely recommend using an egg slicer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Finely chop onion, dill pickes and celery and add to bowl.
Stir in mayonnaise and continue stirring until combined. Feel free to add more or less mayonnaise to your liking.
Serve cold on bread or with crackers.