Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatloaf (Meatball Meatloaf)
This Italian Meatloaf is crispy on the outside and succulent in the middle, it’s like one big meatball! The meat is seasoned perfectly and the whole loaf is stuffed with ooey gooey mozzarella cheese and topped with a yummy spaghetti sauce. Best of all, it’s so easy to make!
Mozzarella stuffed Italian Meatloaf, what more need I say? This is one of the comfort foods that’s hearty and packed with flavor. Crispy edged beef topped with a sweet and tangy tomato sauce, it’s a weeknight or weekend treat that will not disappoint!
How To Make This Italian Meatloaf – Step By Step
What Can You Serve With This Meatloaf?
This is a filling and delicious dish and there are some sides that marry up perfectly with it!
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Goat Cheese
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower Recipe (Cauliflower Mash)
- Grilled Asparagus Recipe with Lemon Butter
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe (Texas Toast Garlic Bread)
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
Can You Freeze It?
Meatloaf can be frozen either fully cooked and cooled or raw ready to bake. Wrap each meatloaf tightly to prevent freezer burn or contamination from raw meat. Whichever method you use, be sure to defrost meat loaf thoroughly in refrigerator before baking or reheating.
What Meat Is Best For This Italian Meatloaf?
Top Tips For This Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatloaf
- Be sure to mix the meat really well. You can just use a fork or clean hands.
- If you don’t have a loaf pan, shape into a loaf and place it onto a baking tray.
- If your meatloaf is falling apart, you may not have used enough binding ingredients. This recipe calls for plenty of breadcrumbs. It may be over baked. Or, you sliced into it while it was still too hot.
- Always let your meatloaf cool for 15 minutes before slicing into it.
Check Out These Delicious Italian Recipes
- Fettuccine Alfredo with Sausage (Italian Sausage Alfredo)
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Recipe (One Pan and ONLY 6 INGREDIENTS!)
- Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatballs
- Best Caprese Salad Recipe
Have you tried this Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatloaf? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from yo in the comments below!
Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatloaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs Progresso work well
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons milk or tomato sauce
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 package fresh mozzarella balls cherry size Ciliegine or mozzarella slices cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 32 ounce jar Spaghetti Sauce or homemade sauce, divided
- 1 pound spaghetti – cooked per package instructions
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley
Heat oven to 350°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack in the baking sheet and cover the wire rack with foil. Poke holes in the foil (between the wires) so the meat juices can drip onto the rimmed baking sheet. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, set over medium heat, add the oil and onion. Cook about 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is translucent and has softened.
Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds until bloomed and fragrant. Remove from the heat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil oregano, salt, pepper, Parmesan and milk (or tomato sauce), and sautéed onion/garlic mixture. Mix until well combined.
Add the ground chuck and mix gently with a fork or clean hands until ingredients are incorporated. Try not to over mix or the meatloaf will end up dense.
Divide the mixture into 2 portions and form each portion into a loaf. Set the loaves on the wire rack of the prepared pan (about 3 inches apart) and cover each loaf with a thin layer of spaghetti sauce.
Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
Spread an additional 2-3 tablespoons sauce over each loaf and bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 160°F on an instant-read thermometer and the juices run clear.
Remove from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before cutting.
Serve on a bed of spaghetti and top with spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella and chopped parsley.
The post Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatloaf (Meatball Meatloaf) appeared first on The Cookie Rookie®.