RECIPE: Sweet potato jacket with chickpea curry
Sweet potato jacket with chickpea curry
Recently I have really got into sweet potato and have created some different recipes (this being one of them) which are suitable for vegetarians or could be altered to not be.
WHAT YOU NEED: I havent added amounts because it depends on how many you are cooking for and your preference, so i will just list the ingredients required.
TIP: When adding spices and herbs it is best to add a little at a time and continue adding until you are happy with the taste.
- SWEET POTATO
- COCONUT MILK
- TOMATO PASTE
- GARAM MASALA
- CAYENNE PEPPER
- DRIED FENUGREEK
- JUICE OF A LIME
- WHITE ONION
- FRESH CORIANDER (for garnish and to go into the dish)
- ASPARAGUS (you dont have to add this but it is nice within it this could be swapped for courgette or grated carrot)
It is simple to make.
1. Using a fork, prick the sweet potato(s) and place on a plate. Put the sweet potato in the microwave for 8-10 minutes on the highest setting.
If cooking more than 1 sweet potato: Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees. Cook the first sweet pototo in the microwave for 5 minutes. Only microwave cook one potato at a time. When each one is cooked, place on a baking tray to continue the cooking in the oven. This will also make the skin nice and crispy too!
* This time in the mircowave is based on a medium size potato. If larger, it may need longer in the microwave.
2. Finely chop the garlic, ginger and onion using a sharp knife. Once chopped place in a pan, on a low heat.
3. Whilst these are frying up, roughly chop all the other vegetables (minus the spinach as that can be added whole). Continue to stir the pan every few minutes.
4. Once chopped, add the vegetables to the pan and put on a medium heat.
5. Once all the ingredients have started to soften, add the spices and fresh coriander.
6. Next, add the chickpeas, coconut milk, tomato puree and lime juice.
7. Lower the heat, place the lid on and let it simmer for at least 5 minutes or until sweet potato is ready.
8. Once ready cut the sweet potato in half or quarters so the curry can go in-between it. Add the curry and eat straight away.
YUMMY and HEALTHY!!
This recipe would also be delicious with a fried egg on top (which would also provide additional protein)