Barbecue season is a time for gathering with friends and family, enjoying the great outdoors, and indulging in delicious food. And just because you follow a vegan lifestyle doesn’t mean you can’t partake in the joy of a mouthwatering BBQ. In this blog post, we’ll share an easy and crowd-pleasing vegan BBQ recipe that will satisfy both vegans and non-vegans alike. Get ready to fire up the grill and impress your guests with this delectable plant-based delight.
Recipe: Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Tangy BBQ Sauce
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps
- 4 burger buns (check for vegan options)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tangy BBQ sauce (store-bought or homemade)
Optional Burger Toppings:
- Sliced tomatoes
- Lettuce or spinach leaves
- Sliced red onions
- Vegan cheese slices
- Mustard or vegan mayo
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the soy sauce or tamari, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt, and pepper to create a marinade.
- Remove the stems from the Portobello mushrooms and gently clean them with a damp cloth. Place the mushrooms in the marinade, ensuring they are coated on both sides. Let them marinate for about 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the mushrooms are marinating, prepare your grill by lightly oiling the grates to prevent sticking.
- Place the marinated Portobello mushrooms on the preheated grill, cap side down. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side until they are tender and grill marks appear.
- While the mushrooms are grilling, lightly toast the burger buns on the grill for a minute or two, if desired.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, remove them from the grill and let them cool slightly.
- Assemble your burgers by placing a grilled Portobello mushroom cap on each burger bun. Add your desired toppings such as sliced tomatoes, lettuce or spinach leaves, sliced red onions, pickles, vegan cheese, mustard, or vegan mayo. Don’t forget to generously drizzle tangy BBQ sauce over the mushrooms.
- Serve your delicious vegan BBQ burgers to your guests, and watch as they savor the smoky flavors and delightful textures. These plant-based burgers are sure to be a crowd-pleaser, even among non-vegan attendees.
With this easy and crowd-pleasing vegan BBQ recipe for grilled Portobello mushroom burgers, you can delight your friends and family with a delicious plant-based option at your next outdoor gathering. The tender and smoky Portobello mushrooms, combined with tangy BBQ sauce and a variety of toppings, create a truly satisfying burger experience. So, fire up the grill, embrace the flavors of summer, and enjoy the festivities while savoring these mouthwatering vegan BBQ burgers. Happy grilling and happy eating!