The appearance of delicate, pale yellow wax beans at markets marks the beginning of summer. These tender beans are often spied in farmers markets, produce stands, and backyard gardens, as they grow abundantly in the warmer months. One of my favorite ways to serve them is in a crisp, colorful salad, such as this easy-breezy, healthy, delicious summer salad. With only 7 ingredients (not counting pantry staples), you can make this vegan, gluten-free Wax Bean Cherry Tomato Salad in around 15 minutes. Just a touch of lemon and olive oil with oregano accents this salad, which is based on wax beans, red onions, cherry tomatoes, and almonds for a delicate Mediterranean approach. Cook up the beans until they are just crisp tender and then toss with red onion, cherry tomatoes and a lemony vinaigrette, and top with crunchy almonds. It’s delicious served warm, room temp, or chilled. It’s your go-to salad for picnics, grill days, and potlucks. Plus, it’s easy enough to serve with a weeknight dinner. The leftovers hold up well too.
This easy-breezy, healthy, delicious Mediterranean-style Wax Bean Cherry Tomato Salad is based on only 7 ingredients, and can be mixed up in 15 minutes. This salad is also vegan and gluten-free.
- 12 ounces small wax beans*, fresh, ends trimmed
- ¼ medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Add water to a medium pot (half-full), cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add wax beans, cover, and simmer over medium heat until they are crisp-tender (about 5 minutes). Drain, place in large bowl, and chill slightly in the refrigerator.
- Add red onion and cherry tomatoes to bowl.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, salt (optional), oregano, and garlic in a small dish. Pour over the wax bean salad mixture.
- Toss gently, sprinkle with almonds, and serve. May serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
- Makes 6 servings (about 2/3 cup each).
*Note: If you can’t find small wax beans, slice larger ones in half. You can also substitute fresh green beans, or frozen wax beans or green beans in this recipe. If you use frozen, thaw and blanch for 3 minutes.
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: vegan salad, healthy vegan salad, easy vegan salad, easy summer salad
For other healthy plant-based salads, check out the following:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.