Tap Shoes: The Complete Guide
Tap shoes are a type of shoes used in tap dancing, a dance form where dancers strike the shoes against a hard surface to create rhythmic patterns. These shoes are characterized by the metal plates attached to the heel and toe that create a distinctive sound. In this comprehensive guide, we will cover everything you need to know about tap shoes.
What are tap shoes made of?
Tap shoes can be made of various materials, but most commonly, the upper part of the shoe is made of leather, and the sole is made of hard rubber. The metal plates attached to the heel and toe are usually made of aluminum or steel.
What are the different types of tap shoes?
There are several types of tap shoes, each designed for a specific purpose. The most common types are:
- Beginner: These shoes have a soft sole and a small heel, making them easier to move in. They are suitable for beginners who are still developing their technique.
- Jazz: These shoes have a split sole, allowing for greater flexibility. They are often used in jazz dance performances.
- Broadway: These shoes have a low heel and a hard sole, making them suitable for long performances. They are often used in musical theater performances.
How do I choose the right tap shoes?
Choosing the right tap shoes depends on a few factors, such as your level of expertise and the type of performance you will be doing. Here are some tips to help you choose:
- Beginners should choose shoes with a soft sole and a small heel.
- Intermediate and advanced dancers should choose shoes with a harder sole and a higher heel.
- If you will be performing on a wooden stage, choose shoes with aluminum plates. If you will be performing on a concrete or asphalt surface, choose shoes with steel plates.
- Make sure the shoes fit well and are comfortable to wear.
How do I take care of my tap shoes?
Proper care of your tap shoes will ensure that they last longer and maintain their quality. Here are some tips to help you take care of your tap shoes:
- Store your shoes in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
- Clean the shoes regularly with a leather cleaner and a soft cloth.
- Protect the metal plates from rust by wiping them with a dry cloth after each use.
- Replace the heel and toe taps when they are worn out.
Now that you know everything about tap shoes, it's time to put your knowledge into practice. Remember to choose the right shoes, take care of them, and most importantly, have fun tapping!