This chicken piccata is a light and delicious Italian dish that never disappoints. The juicy breaded chicken is smothered in a fresh lemon-caper sauce that explodes with flavor in every bite.
It comes together so easily, yet presents itself so beautifully! Everyone who makes it is pleasantly surprised by how fast it comes together in one skillet. If you’re looking for more easy one-skillet recipes, try this chicken, this Salisbury steak, or this easy stir fry packed with vegetables.
What is Chicken Piccata?
Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish that is known for its bright flavors. This recipe is a comforting dish made with lightly breaded chicken and nestled in a complimentary lemon and caper sauce. You will the combination of the tender chicken with the lemon-caper sauce! This makes a great family dinner and if you are lucky, you may even have leftovers the next day!
This one-skillet meal comes together so quickly that you’ll have time to make it complete with some of my favorite side dishes. I love to serve it on a bed of angel hair pasta and a side of either asparagus or broccoli. If I am really feeling ambitious then I will even make my easy garlic bread! This chicken piccata is so delicious and and it’s hearty enough that it will fill up all of your guests!
Ingredients in Chicken Piccata
- Olive Oil: Cooking the chicken breasts in olive oil helps to brown the chicken and prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are perfect for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Flour: Coating the chicken in flour creates a light breading on the outside of the chicken.
- White Wine: This is a delicious addition to help deglaze the pan and flavor the sauce.
- Garlic: The garlic flavors the sauce and the chicken.
- Fresh Thyme: Fresh herbs always make a recipe stand out.
- Chicken Broth: The chicken broth helps create a base for the sauce for the chicken piccata.
- Capers: The capers pair nicely with the lemon flavor. If the capers are bottled in brine then drain them before ou use them in this recipe.
- Lemon Juice: Trust me when I say fresh is ALWAYS best, so use real lemon.
- Cornstarch and Water: When you mix these two ingredients together then it creates a thickener for the sauce.
How to Make Chicken Piccata
Chicken piccata is so simple and comes together in under 30 minutes! Making this in one-skillet makes for a fast cleanup! Following these step-by-step instructions or from the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Season and coat: In a medium nonstick skillet add the olive oil over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts on both sides. Add the flour to a shallow bowl and coat each side.
- Cook: Add the chicken breasts and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Flip the chicken. Keep cooking the chicken until it’s golden on the outside.
- Make the sauce: Remove the chicken and set it aside on a plate. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 20 seconds. Add the white wine and fresh lemon juice, and whisk to deglaze the pan. Stir in the thyme and chicken broth.
- Thicken: In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch and water. Add to the sauce and whisk until it starts to thicken.
- Combine: Add the chicken back to the sauce and spoon the sauce on top. Serve the chicken piccata immediately.
Chicken Picatta would pair perfectly with any of the following options! We love it with angel hair pasta, but feel free to serve it with what you have on hand or with what your family loves.
How to Store Leftovers
This chicken piccata can be enjoyed for lunch the next day if you have leftovers! You can also store it in the freezer for a weeknight meal when you’re in a pinch and don’t have time.
- Refrigerator: Once your chicken has cooled then store it in an air-tight container. Put it in the fridge and it will last for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Allow chicken to cool completely, then store in an air-tight container or wrap in foil. Freeze for up to three months. When ready, thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat until warmed through.
- To Reheat: To make sure that it retains its moisture when you reheat it, cooking it on low and slow is best. Put it in the oven at about 275 degrees Fahrenheit and warm it for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Chicken piccata comes together quickly in one skillet. I love that I can make this for my family in under 30 minutes. We all need quick dinner ideas on hand when we’re in a pinch! Try these other recipes out. They are SO good!
Classic Chicken Piccata
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Flour
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup White Wine
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Capers
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Water
- In a medium nonstick skillet add the olive oil over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts on both sides. Add the flour to a shallow bowl and coat each side.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Flip and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through and golden on the outside.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside on a plate. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 20 seconds. Add the white wine and fresh lemon juice, and whisk to deglaze the pan. Stir in the thyme, capers, and chicken broth.
- In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch and water. Add to the sauce and whisk until it starts to thicken.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce and spoon the sauce on top. Serve immediately.